Re: Wankeling

To: Eric Linnhoff <eric10mm@qni.com>, autocross <AUTOX@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wankeling
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:10:30 -0700 (PDT)
--- Eric Linnhoff <eric10mm@qni.com> wrote:

> I've got a hankering to build a prepared car and
> apparently the cheapest
> route would probably be to build an AP 1st gen.
> RX-7.

I'd talk to Peter Fehn if I were you...he's got some
bucks in his little AP rocket.  (And he seems to have
economized on the muffler a bit! :-\ )  Prices for
race prepped rotaries that I've seen are typically
$4-8k.

> Any resources there?

There is a decent intro to the Wankel engine at
<http://www.rx7club.com/wankel.html> (originally out
of GRM).

Some less-horrifyingly-expensive prepared car ideas:

DP/EP CRX (Stan Whitney may beg to differ on the price
here... :)
CP 2nd gen Camaro/Firebird (every circle track in the
country runs these things, and scads of race parts are
available)
DP early Civic (one won the class in '92 or so...)
EP Corolla (I'll let you know on this years from now
when I get around to building the thing!  ;)

Craig Blome