SSA and Trunk Kits (on the autox list?)

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: SSA and Trunk Kits (on the autox list?)
From: Jeff Cashmore <cashmo@execpc.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:11:45 -0500
"There used to be an SSA. I believe SSA was eliminated because they
didn't make their 'numbers'"

SSA is still around as a regional class but it lost National status due
to 'numbers'.  In 97 the Corrado's and Preludes did well but many folks
thought you needed the SSA winning BMW 328 to win (ie to much $$$,
although I think Altenburg might have won in a Corrado too).  I guess
this scared folks away from the class.  T1 may be headed down the same
road for the same reasons.  Enjoy watching SBW while you can (semi
auto-x content).

The DOHC Neon is/was not the dominant SSB car.  It's great at more HP
oriented tracks like RA but at Mid-Ohio Miata's fill the first 3 rows.
On the other hand the SOHC ACR did dominate SSC.  In hindsight,
reclassing it to SSB might have been a better idea than the can of worms
the trunk kit's opened up.  The question is, can we go back now that so
many people have spent the money for the kits?  Since this is more of a
W2W topic let's get back to the original question.  Does the factory
upgraded ZX-2 S/R belong in ES?  Until it's more widely available, I'd
say no.  When/if it is, do the mods add up to a DS car?  I don't know.

"Also I am hoping / wondering if the new Civic Si will be reclassed any
time soon to DS."

I'll vote no.  From what I've seen it's a good ES car, but definitely
not an over dog.  No torque or front camber adj.  I'd rather have a
Celica GT with the wider rims.
--
Jeff Cashmore
http://www.execpc.com/~cashmo/specrx7.html = Spec Rx7