RE: Kumho wear patterns, 225/50-15 on 6" rim

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Kumho wear patterns, 225/50-15 on 6" rim
From: Doug Chase <dougcha@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:22:38 -0700
Craig typed:
<<<<
I noticed significantly more wear on the outer half of the tread.

I'm guessing that either:

a)  I don't have enough negative camber for the tire (no surprise here), or
b)  the 6" rim is too narrow for a 225 K-tire and it is rolling over.

Anybody else tried this combo, or seen similar wear on other sizes?
Anything I can do with pressures to mitigate it?   (I was running mid-30's.)

And I respond:

I run Kumho 225/50-15s on 15x6 wheels on the front of my Fiero.  I have
about 1.6 degrees neg camber and run about 38psi and they're wearing very
evenly.

I think your problem is more a) than b).

Doug "I'm a couple days behind on digest mode" Chase
Everett, WA
'88 Fiero Formula 5-spd (autocrosser)
'88 Fiero GT 5-spd (in hospital (Fiero Factory), thanks Ken and George!)
'85 Fiero GT 4-spd (future Pro Rally car)