ABS Nightmare

To: nersolo@ner.org, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: ABS Nightmare
From: "Fedja Jeleskovic" <Fedja_Jeleskovic@pictel.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:25:19 -0400

Hi guys,

My ABS is still fighting back and it just doesn't want to give up.

After I did not drive my car for a week, ABS light came on (I was able to lock
my wheels after that). Since ABS ECU is a separate unit from the main ECU, I can
not read error codes from there using regular ways (scan tools,...).

After about 10 days, light went off by it self. It would usually come on after I
would move my car and wheels would make about two full turns. This time there
was no light and my ABS was working after I tried.

For next few weeks (actually a month), everything was fine. But, few days back,
light came ON again. And that came just before my afternoon session during SCCA
AutoX. I turned around and tried brakes few times, turn the car off, than on
again and luckily ABS light stayed off and I was able to finish two more runs.

After that light started coming on again almost every time after I would start
the car. Finally, I figured out that if I pump my brake after I start the car
for 10-15 times, light would not show up. It was fine for last two days.

Today, I bleed my brakes and replaced most of the fluid, hoping that possible
air in the system was causing my ABS problem. After I was done, light came ON
right after I would move my car. Unfortunately, pumping brake pedal before I
start moving the car doesn't work any more.

So, if you guys have any suggestion about what to do, please let me know.

All the best.

Mr. DSM
95 Eagle Talon AWD
#34 ESP
#34 P2

ps. Dealer gave me three error codes, but they where inaccurate. They said that
front right wheel speed sensor was bad, but they gave me a code for the front
left one. They also mentioned that hydraulic unit could be bad or ABS ECU (both
over $1000 bucks). The last thing I've got from the mechanic was that this is
probably lose wire somewhere.

Go figure!