Re: wheel width vs. weight

To: David K Yeung <dkyeung@juno.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wheel width vs. weight
From: Eric Moon <moon-7@blazenet.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 06:54:20 -0400
At 01:27 AM 6/12/99 -0400, David K Yeung wrote:
>I'm faced with deciding between 16x7 vs. 16x8 inch wheels for my FWD
>Grand Prix using 245/45-16 tires.  I don't know the exact weight
>yadda yadda yadda
>
>here's the $0.25 question...for autocross, is the extra inch wheel width
>a good tradeoff for the extra 4lbs per corner? wider or lighter?

Duh!!!!  It's a Pontiac Grand Prix-----Wider is Better!!!
But seriously....
I have some fairly light 13 X 7 alloys for my CSP Miata, with 225/45
rubber.  I couldn't afford really cool and really expensive race wheels, so
I ordered some 13 X 9 steels from Diamond Motorsports, which really aren't
that heavy.  Same size tire.  Just standing the two setups together in my
garage showed me right away how much more rubber I'm putting down on the
ground!!  The extra grip is definitely worth more than the extra few
pounds.  (thanks Tom from Mid Atlantic)
If I was really worried about weight, I'd be doing my Tae Bo tape right now
instead of sitting in front of my computer sipping on a Cappuccino!!!  ;-)

Eric

Eric Moon
'92 Miata SOLO II  CSP
e-mail:        info@scca-susq.com