Re: left footin'

To: Christa Meck <cmeck@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: left footin'
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:35:17 -0400
At 12:54 PM 6/14/99 -0400, you wrote:

>I also find that my left foot really likes to use that pedal, now that I
>can.
>That's bad!  I took McKamey this past weekend and heard the
>from the infamous Sam Strano that this happens frequently.

FWIW, I can't left foot brake.  That said, I have no problem with folks who
do LFB, but I do have a problem with it under a couple circumstances.  The
first is, that they flat-out over do it ( that actually is not you
Christa).  LFBing makes is just WAY too easy to hit the brake when/where a
lift would be PLENTY.  That kills speed, that kills time.  The next thing
is most folks try and turn brake at the same time.  Somehow I guess they
believe the friction circle takes vacation when their left foot is in
action.  And along that line, you'll see some that turn and brake while
having their foot on the gas too!!!!  If you can't brake and turn, what
makes 'em think you can utterly confuse the tires and do ALL THREE?????
The last thing is that there is very, very little time in general (maybe a
tenth or two on a course or two a year) to be found, and to find it it has
to be just right.  And I can only think of about 4 or 5 folks I've ridden
with that LFB to that standard.  Like anything it takes practice.  But, 99%
of the autoxer's in the world have a chunk of time in their driving (me
included on probably every run I make), and LFBing is worth much less time
and energy when you have to polish driving skills.

He also
>mentioned
>he had some creative ways to break us of that habit!  :)  So I spent all
>weekend trying not to left foot.

Um, yeah.  I do.  But you should have been driving like you normally do, so
Mark and I could help with the things you normally need fixed (something
new and different just adds complications)

>My opinion is that in some cars, in some conditions, being ABLE to left
>foot could be that extra thousandth that you need.  But it should
>probably
>be reserved for that case.

I agree.

>INHO, YMMV, etc etc etc.

Ditto, etc.....

>Who needs to work on LIFTING the gas more than using the
>brake.

You are not alone.......... (insert creepy music here).....

Sam Strano Jr.
Strano Performance Parts
800-729-1831
814-849-3417 (tech.)