DOT code on tires...

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: DOT code on tires...
From: CLAY MCLENDON <clay_mclendon@goodyear.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:35:59 -0400
FYI, the DOT code on tires is mostly for tire manufacturer record keeping, but
here is the rundown:
Example code:

DOT  MA  L9  ABCD  036

MA = Manufacturer and Plant Code No.  (Each plant has a two letter code)
L9   = Tire size and code No. (Correlates to size I guess?)
ABCD = Group of optional symbols with the manufacturer.
036 = Date of manufacture  in weeks and years (3rd week of 1996)

As I said mostly useless except for the last three numbers...  8-)

Also I read many messages recently about using treadware information to
determine a tire's performance.  This number can be anywhere at or below what
the tire tested at.  For example a tire could test at 1000 and indicate 300.
It's all in the marketing of the tire.

I hope this helps...

God Bless...
clay