RE: Turbo Rule - Target Car?

To: "'Autox'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Turbo Rule - Target Car?
From: "Brian Fitzpatrick" <bfitz1@home.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 20:50:03 -0500
I keep seeing messages such as the attached, and I can't figure out why.
How do either of the two turbo rule changes effect the Supra TT or the RX-7?
I had always thought that they were using stock turbos, right?

The DSM's are the only cars I know of where a turbo update/backdate is
legal.  It's only legal because it bolts right up and uses the stock pre-95
oil and coolant lines...and these work because IT'S THE SAME MOTOR.  There
was a slight compression ratio change, and the head is a little different.
That's it.  Other possibilities that I've seen mentioned (SVO turbo on V8
Mustangs, Trans-Am turbo on LS1's, etc.) are not legal because they would
require illegal modifications to facilitate the update/backdate.

I completely agree with (and I haven't heard any objections to) the rule
change to prohibit "adding" turbochargers.  This rule alone is enough.  The
update/backdate does seem to be aimed at DSM's, and GH Sharp's post
supported this idea.

Why change a rule to hinder an unproven car?  If it is proven to be an
overdog, reclass it!

Brian Fitzpatrick
'97 Eagle Talon AWD - 14B - ESP