Subframes, again ...

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Subframes, again ...
From: Josh Sirota <jss@marimba.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:17:23 -0400
"Mark J. Andy" wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Mark Sirota wrote:
> > I continue to be befuddled about why there's such an uproar about this
> > stuff.  Those people driving cars like this have a solution -- get
> > together and get the manufacturer to issue a TSB authorizing the
> > modification.
> >
> > If subframe connectors are so commonplace on Mustangs and Camarobirds,
> > start a letter writing campaign in those circles, and write to the
> > manufacturer, not to the SEB.
> >
> > If there are such reliability problems, then it's a manufacturer
> > problem, not an SCCA problem.  Complain to the right people!
>
> So in these situations, which typically won't show up on the street
> because you're not at high rpm a lot, aren't handling at the limit, and
> don't have sticky DOT racing tires, you contend that a manufacturer will
> listen to a small number of people?

Okay, wait a second.  Allegedly everyone in the world with a Mustang
already has subframe connectors, because on the street, the cars fall
apart without them.  So the SCCA needs to allow them because all of
these existing street cars have no place to play.

Isn't *that* the issue?  If everyone and their mother already has
subframe connectors on their Mustang, clearly that's enough people to
get the manufacturer to listen.  If the aftermarket for this particular
part, which is only for longevity, is so large, then the manufacturer
has many more than a few autocrossers to listen to.

I can't believe I'm participating in the subframe discussion again.

Josh