Re: Official ruling from the SEB???

To: "Brian M Kennedy" <kennedy@i2.com>
Subject: Re: Official ruling from the SEB???
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 19:40:40 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>

> Okay, how do you know if you got an "official ruling FROM THE SEB"?

If I'm reading the rulebook correctly, the only real way is for the ruling
to be published in FASTRAK.

>From the 1999 Solo Rules, Foreword (excerpts):

    The SCCA reserves the right to revise these rules....  Changes of this
nature will normally become effective     upon publication in SportsCar
magazine, but may become effective immediately in emergency situations
determined by the SCCA.

    Finality of interpretation and application.  The interpretation and
application of the SCCA Solo I & II Rules by     SCCA officials shall be
final and binding.

In various parts of the rules, (Intro Section 2, SIR Section II.O., SIIR
Section 5), these officials are defined -- the SEB, the various stewards,
and the event officials.  Nowhere does it say that SCCA employees are
officials -- so anything we get from them is basically helpful (and
hopefully knowledgable) advice.

>From the Introductory Section 2.2, Duties [of the Solo Events Board]
(excerpts):

    The monitoring of the rules includes the issuing of clarifications
regarding them.... Members are cautioned     that rulings based upon
information provided [by requestors] are not irrevocable if new information
    becomes available....

The way I read that, even a verbal or written determination from the SEB
isn't the definative word until it's published in FASTRAK as a clarification
or change to the rules.  A duly appointed event official will probably
consider an SEB opinion in interpreting a rule, but isn't bound by such an
opinion until it's part of the rulebook.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si (not just stock -- damn near original!)
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr