Re: Colin Chapman (was C&C mods in stock...)

To: Rich Urschel <osp13@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Colin Chapman (was C&C mods in stock...)
From: Pat Kelly <lollipop@ricochet.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 08:39:33 -0700

Rich Urschel wrote:

> Phil Vanner wrote:
>
> >Add Spridgets ripping out their sway bar mounts. And I suppose
> > if we allow people to reinforce parts of their car that have
> > a tendency to break under race stresses, then Lotuses can pretty
> > much re-engineer everything.  After all, Colin Chapman didn't know
> > what he was doing...
>
> No smiley there but in the same vein....
> Chapman knew exactly what he was doing; making Loti as cheaply
> as possible to last precisely as long as the warranty period.

    Warranty? You've got to be kidding! Actually the cars worked quite
well on 3.5 inch wheels and rock hard tires, great drifts could be
achieved. But then rules started allowing bigger, sticker tires, and
wider rims, thus came really fragile cars. No, I don't wish to go back.
But somewhere in our garage we have the original skinny rear fenders.

> Seen a Lotus in a stock class on fragile 3.5-4.5" wide wheels
> lately?

    Yes, there is one in Richmond, CA, all original. Amazing. Never
raced, which I find almost impossible. Trouble is, I don't own it.--Pat
Kelly