Re: Karts

To: autox@autox.team.net, Dave Head <rally2xs@csi.com>
Subject: Re: Karts
From: mikelowe@pop.c-com.net
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:31:14 +0000
> From:          Dave Head <rally2xs@csi.com>

> Do I have to
> follow the National series and ProSolo series to run karts?

     No.  It's up to the individual regions.  I'm in Houston Region
(they do karts) so I can't provide info for your area.  Find the
contact phone # for each region and ask them about karts.

> My reasons for wanting to do this are that I hate actually modifying my car
> (big $$$, voids the warranty, makes it less suitable for other pursuits
> (lowered car sucks when doing road rally on roads with high RR crossings
> and "holy" roads))

     Setting up a car does not necessarily void the warranty.  Take a
look at the modifications allowed in Solo II Stock classes and see if
any of them void the warranty.  My installation of Konis, plug wires,
and a performance alignment sure don't void my Miata R's warranty.
If I installed a bigger front sway bar or aftermarket brake pads, the
warranty would be intact.

> as well as the fact that karts are a hoot.

     Yes they are.  I rented a kart at the Ft. Worth Nat'l Tour.  I
had a blast and I'll probably do it again next year.  But they do
require tinkering for optimal performance.  If you melt down your
motor, you are out four digits of $$$.  Visit a kart track or attend
a kart club meeting and ask about real-world use and costs.  See if
you can locate a kart renter.

> Only other problem with this scenario is that I absolutely SUCK at Solo II
> - generally finish last in class, but I think I can get better (I always
> think that... <G>)  Even if I don't, driving karts is still a hoot...

     Practice makes perfect.  I try to run two events a month.

Mike Lowe    mikelowe@phoenix.net    http://www.phoenix.net/~mikelowe
'96 Miata R (B Stock autocrosser)
'94 Miata (future turbo car)