re: The REAL screwing (AP)

To: quad4fiero@webzone.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re: The REAL screwing (AP)
From: Gemery@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:30:42 EDT
George Ryan writes about AP:
>Reading this months Fastrack, I find that the efforts to make right
>the previous SEB regimes' wrongs in that class were thwarted - -
>listen to this logic - - because top 2 winners have gone to another
>class. That makes everything allright now!!!

Yeah, I gave an equal snort to that logic!  On your other comments,
however...

>Oh, while this hideously novel idea and nuevo-thinking is prominent,
>let's add some verbage to allow anybody NOC to run in AP - - that
>will give parity to the class !!!!!!!!!

Why not?  What killer NOC car is out there?  The SEB seemed
to assign them a reasonable required weight and they're still not
legal for Divisional, National Tour, and Nationals per intro of
Section 15.

>If I am going to be worse an underdog than I have been in years past
>(a 4cyl 1900lb car vs a 2000lb 427 Cobra, or a 1400lb Lotus, or a 2300
>lb Tiger) since the demise of FP, I may as well be a tremendous under-
>dog in E Mod - - - joining the trend of the "old" FP'er the last couple
>years.

We've been through this before, but I'll oblige again:

A) Fiero 4-cyl w/Quad Four engine: 1900 lb w/10 inch rims, 4-valves
per cylinder, 2.3 (?) liters, modern FI or dual 48mm Webers
w/unlimited venturis.

B) Cobra 427: 2000 lb w/10 inch rims, 7.0 liters, single Holley carb
limited to 35mm venturi.

C) Lotus Elan: 1470 lb (didn't the SEB add 50 lbs for 2000 season?
or is that already effective?) w/7 inch rims, 2 valves per cylinder,
1.6 liters, dual 40mm Webers w/32mm venturis.

D) Sunbeam Tiger w/302 Ford: 2300 lb w/10 inch rims, 5.0 liters,
single Holley carb limited to 39.7mm venturi.

I honestly don't see how the Fiero's specs make you an underdog in
this group.  You've got the best rim width vs. weight and virtually
unlimited induction compared to the limited induction for the others.
All the power-to-weight ratios are reasonably similar, with the Fiero
maybe having a slight edge.  Additionally, the Tiger was an FP car
originally, so you would have been in the same boat in the old days.

>Or, let's see. I could take my current car, lighten it to - - however light
>I want to make it - - and put a kit car body on my current car (the Fiero
>is the chassis of choice for many kit cars) and still run in AP under the
>new rules.

Did you really read the new rules or are you just reacting?  The way
I read FastTrack, the kit car allowance only includes "look-alikes" for
cars already classified.  In that respect, they must still meet the specs
of cars already classified.

George Emery
gemery@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/gemery