Any interested in cheap, new, VDO cockpit guages?

To: wheeltowheel@wheeltowheel.com
Subject: Any interested in cheap, new, VDO cockpit guages?
From: Ed Sawyer <sawyer@waterville.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:37:46 -0400 (EDT)
Hi folks,

During a recent visit to a local parts place, I came upon a stash of older
VDO Cockpit guages. They made me a great offer if I take all of them
(literally, 3 shopping carts full!), and since that's way more than I
personally need, I wanted to guage interest of folks on this list to see if
anyone would be interested in some of these.  These guages are the common
VDO 2 1/16" size ones, as seen like the OEM ones on upscale VWs, BMWs, etc.
They have black faces, red pointers and white numbers. A few have the
chrome trim rings instead of black.

Mainly they consist of a lot of electrical pressure guages (oil, fuel,
etc.) 0-150 psi; a lot of electrical temperature guages (0-250 or 350 F); a
bunch of tachs and speedos (between 2-3" in size); and a few other guages
including cylinder head temp, exhaust pyrometers, etc. For the most part,
all include the sender and plumbing adapters in the packaging. I didn't get
a chance to go through all of it, but there are also a lot of guage panels
(to hold 1,2 or 3 guages), assordted senders, speedo cables, etc. Some of
it was packaged for motorcycles and some for cars, but from the look of it
all the bike stuff will work fine on cars too (12v negative ground, etc.)

Depending on interest, I can offer these for around $20 each, for the guage
and sender. FYI, Pegasus and places like that sell these guages for about
$25-40 for the guage, and another $20-40 for the sender. I know, since I
spent about $200-300 on this sort of stuff from them a couple months ago.
(damn... if I had only waited! >:P)

I threw together a quickie page with some pics of a few of these that I
grabbed already. I'll probably get the rest of them tomorrow, if there's
enough interest. The page is here: http://www.webcom.com/wv/vdoguages.html

So, in order to help me out and see if it's worth my time to get all these,
then deal with selling/shipping them around the country, please email me
privately if you are interested. Put "VDO" in the subject line, and in the
body of the message let me know what sort of guages you'd be interested in,
how many, etc.  This isn't a commercial venture on my part, I just hate to
see these things going to waste, and if I can help out fellow racers, etc.,
at a lesser price than the race catalogs, then so be it.

thanks,

-Ed Sawyer
sawyer@waterville.com