RX-7 weights. {Long, possibly useless. :) }

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RX-7 weights. {Long, possibly useless. :) }
From: Christa Meck <cmeck@frontiernet.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:51:53 -0400
I found a ride for Evansville!  Thanks Steve!

Steve mentioned the weight difference is about 50 pounds.
I've done a little comparison myself (we were curious) and here is
what I found out....

My car:  1993 RX-7 Touring with Bose Acoustic Wave
System, sunroof, leather, cruise.  You name it, it's in there.

Comparo car:  Andy B's 1995 RX-7 R2.  Extra oil cooler
and R goodies.

>From the scales at Devens (Ayer Tour)...
Weights:
      My Car                               ABs Car
    Total: 2878                          Total:  2813
729             719                      700        709
746             680                      730        676
  L                R                          L           R

We know that the RR is the difference between the "normal"
straight pipe and the Borla.  (Borla go good.)  We figure that
the LR difference is some stuff for the Bose.  I believe the
wiring comes up on the left.   After that, it's your guess.

Differences:
     65
29        10
16         4

Now, that's as empirical as I get.  Corner weights were taken
without driver.  Both cars started the day with a full tank of gas, but
I imagine Andy's was down more than mine because he had 2 drivers
run before weighing, and I only had 1.  Gas tank is more to
the left than the right.

Analyze and dissect at will.  Weight wise, I think the touring can
be competitive.  If it can at a National level....  I'll let you know in
few years. :)

- Christa
Finger Lakes Region SCCA
1993 RX-7 TT Touring Black