Re: Air conditioning?

To: "Lindsay Wilson" <lwilson1@ford.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Air conditioning?
From: "Chuck Brazeau" <cbrazeau@amaonline.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:39:44 -0500
Lindsay,
I ran into this problem at the end of summer last year with my '90 LX 5.0
(also ESP).  I tried draining out the old R12 by letting it leak out the
schrader valve (don't tell the EPA!), and just adding the new R134a stuff
from a kit (adapters, 3 cans of R134a, and 1 can of oil), but I found out
that the two types of freon are NOT compatible!  It ended up locking up my
AC compressor.  I then discovered that in order to convert to the newer
freon, you must have the old R12 COMPLETELY evacuated from your system.
This means pulling it to a zero vacuum to get out all of the old freon and
oils (professionally done).  Then you can get the $30 kit from the parts
store to convert and fill the dry system.

I haven't had the money to replace my AC compressor yet (or the leaky line
that caused it to need more freon in the first place), but I'm gonna have
to - It's getting HOT in Texas!!!  :-)

Hope this helps!
SeeYa!
CB