Re: Turbo Update/Backdate - A Solution

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: Turbo Update/Backdate - A Solution
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:29:56 -0400
dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:
> Here's my proposed wording:
>
> - Turbocharger units may not ported, clipped, or otherwise modified
>   from stock.
>
> - Turbochargers may be updated/backdated, provided that:
>    - the donator and target car were both turbocharged
>    - the displacement of the engine in both donor and target are
>      exactly the same
>    - the configuration and number of cylinders of the engine in both
>      donor and target are exactly the same
>    - that oil and coolant lines use the stock source and/or return
>      points
>
> - Twin turbocharger units and their associated control hardware must
>   be updated/backdated as a complete unit; Individual turbochargers
>   may not be separated out, nor may single turbochargers be combined
>   to provide a twin turbocharger configuration.

Too complicated.  In the name of keeping it simple, how about
eliminating all the sub-bullets but the first?  If your motor was
turbocharged from the factory, you can use the turbo unit(s) from any
other turbocharged engine on the same line (the same line thing is
already covered in the rule describing update/backdate).  Why make the
big deal about "exactly the same displacement and configuration"?
Are there any lines in SP that have a four-cylinder turbo motor *and*
a six-cylinder turbo motor?  If so, is it better to complicate the rule,
or to split those lines?

The last sub-bullet appears to be already covered by saying that you
can't alter the turbocharger unit, and by the "no unauthorized
modications to facilitate an authorized modification" rule.

I'm also somewhat concerned by the phrase "associated control hardware".
What does that mean, exactly?

So my proposed re-wording follows.  Note the change from "cars" to
"engines" in the second bullet, and again, I don't know what "associated
control hardware" means.

- Turbocharger units may not ported, clipped, or otherwise modified
  from stock.

- Turbochargers may be updated/backdated, provided that the donor and
  target engines were both turbocharged.

- Twin turbocharger units and their associated control hardware must
  be updated/backdated as a complete unit; Individual turbochargers
  may not be separated out, nor may single turbochargers be combined
  to provide a twin turbocharger configuration.

Mark