heat cycling, I found an answer

To: "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>, "kcautox list" <kcautox@ONElist.com>
Subject: heat cycling, I found an answer
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 10:24:40 -0500
I got this info from the tire rack site and it, along with the other
nice folks on the list, gave me the answer I was looking for with
regards to heat cycling a new set of tires.

"On May 21, 1997, Team T/A conducted tests at Michelin's Laurens Proving
Grounds in South Carolina. Comp T/A R1 230 tires that were heat cycled
by using several different methods were compared to non-heat cycled
tires. The course featured an extremely abrasive surface which was
developed to wear out tires quickly.

The Team T/A test compared sets of tires prepared in the following ways.

1. Not heat cycled
2. Heat cycled by regular driving for 100 continuous highway miles 3 to
4 weeks in advance of the track test
3. Heat cycled by regular driving for 100 continuous highway miles 48
hours in advance of the track test
4. The Tire Rack's Heat Cycling Service 48 hours in advance of the track
test

The Team T/A treadwear test results showed that non-heat cycled tires
wore out in 13 laps, and that all of the heat cycled tires lasted 19
laps, or about a 50% wear improvement. The lap times confirmed that all
of the heat cycled tires provided more consistent lap times that were
equivalent to the best laps of the non-heat cycled tires.

Is there a performance advantage to Tire Rack heat cycling vs.
on-the-car? No. Is there a convenience advantage? Absolutely! The Tire
Rack heat cycling service eliminates the need to drive the race car or
it's tires on the street/highway. "

I figure about one complete lap around I-435 (and a few cloverleaf
interchanges thrown in for good measure) ought to be sufficient for my
needs.

Thanks all.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Patrick Henry:
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone
who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it
but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."

Benjamin Franklin:
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."