Re: Using a in-car camera

To: kennedy@i2.com
Subject: Re: Using a in-car camera
From: Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 10:54:03 CDT
Brian Kennedy writes:

> This last weekend, I took my first stab at using an on-board camera.
> First thing I know... I need to get the wide-angle lens attachment.

Absolutely essential.

> Beyond that, I am having difficulty learning a whole lot... other than
> things I think "maybe I should've tried X, it might be faster".  Problem
> is, I'd need 40 runs to try all the possible ways.  Any advice on how
> to leverage the tape... how to learn from it... what I should be looking
> at or for??????  Other advice?

I've only used tape for a few events, but here are the most basic things I've
found.  I find I know a good line but I fail to execute it - falling into
the early apex trap.  The most obvious thing you can gain from the tape is an
analysis of your entry to turns.   You can also see where you hesitate due
to not looking ahead enough.  Viewing the tape helps you find the points
you need to look for during the run, and gives you a clearer mental map
of the course.
--
Jeffrey D. Blankenship                         Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@itds.com                              ITDS - TRIS