Re: Pro Solo on TV

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pro Solo on TV
From: Adam Popp <raft321@fuse.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 15:27:59 -0400
Couple ideas from a R.A.F.T. racer! One thing ESPN2 could do or
Speedvisiion could do his have an half an hour or an hour autox news
show, showing what happened in the world of autorcross that weekend.
         Another thing they could do is just have the Pro Solos, the
National Tours and the Solo II nationals aired on TV. They would have to
plan things out though to show it on TV, but I think it could be done. U
could have camera shots, such as the cone cam. Now wouldn't that be
interesting, in car cameras, etc. But what we need to make it from a
dream into reality, is the *Sponsors*. Well, those r my suggestions. I'm
out.

Adam Popp
86 BSP Silver/Grey Corvette
R.A.F.T. Racing

Rocky Entriken wrote:

>  But seriously folks...
>
>  It also struck me why this works and Solo II on TV wouldn't (at least, not
>without some thoughtful planning by a director who knew, intimately, what he
>was dealing with)
>  That boat-o-cross basically had a field of 8, in one class, and they ran a
>dragrace bracket. They made 14 runs, and that was the show.
 Compare that to a field of 200, a dozen or more separate classes (54 in
Solo II now) making several hundred runs. Do you just show SS or  CP and
call it a show? Actually, from an entertainment point of view, perhaps
that is exactly what you do. "Oh, by the way, there were all these other
classes too" and spend 45 seconds showing snippets of half a dozen
winners of other classes. In a drag race show, you usually get the semis
and finals, maybe quarters, of Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, maybe Pro
Stock Bike and/or Pro Stock Truck. You *might* get the finals of the two
Alky classes, and if its live they will use finals of the sportsman
(amateur) classes as filler. So out of several hundred pairings over 3-4
days, you maybe get 15-20 runs from TV drags. That's
 about how they'd have to do a Solo on TV.
 If anybody cared enough....