RE: Pro Solo on TV

To: "'Rocky Entriken'" <RENTRIKEN/0003006623@MCIMAIL.COM>,
Subject: RE: Pro Solo on TV
From: Alan Pozner <AlanP@identicard.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 16:21:23 -0400
This is why the ProSolo format has more TV appeal than good old Auto-X

1) There is an overall winner

2) You could devote the show to the challenge ( of course that means most of
us don't get on TV boo hoo )

3) The side by side action is more graphic then me against the clock then
you against the clock.

If any auto-X event is TV wothy its Pro or Rocky's Mirror Khana (spelling?)

If you TV types are listening NOPI nationals would be a great event to
broadcast. Its a modified mirror khana and has tremendous appeal to the
import drag crowd.

Regards,
Alan

On Monday, August 02, 1999 2:50 PM, Rocky Entriken
[SMTP:RENTRIKEN/0003006623@MCIMAIL.COM] wrote:
> But seriously folks...
>
> It also struck me why this works and Solo II on TV wouldn't (at least, not
> without some thoughtful planning by a director who knew, intimately, what
he
> was dealing with)
>
> That boat-o-cross basically had a field of 8, in one class, and they ran a
> dragrace bracket. They made 14 runs, and that was the show.
>
> Compare that to a field of 200, a dozen or more separate classes (54 in
Solo
> II now) making several hundred runs. Do you just show SS or  CP and call
it
> a show? Actually, from an entertainment point of view, perhaps that is
> exactly what you do.
>
> "Oh, by the way, there were all these other classes too" and spend 45
seconds
> showing snippets of half a dozen winners of other classes.
>
> In a drag race show, you usually get the semis and finals, maybe quarters,
of
> Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, maybe Pro Stock Bike and/or Pro Stock
Truck.
> You *might* get the finals of the two Alky classes, and if its live they
will
> use finals of the sportsman (amateur) classes as filler. So out of several
> hundred pairings over 3-4 days, you maybe get 15-20 runs from TV drags.
That's