The Original Solo on TV (Pt #1)

To: "Teamdotnet" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Original Solo on TV (Pt #1)
From: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 16:09:06 -0400
The original message is over 10k, so here is part #1.
Matt Murray

mailto:mattm@optonline.net
mailto:mdmurray@gwns.com

Here's Rich Fletcher's opinion from '97. BTW, Tunnell's was also from
'97

not '98.

From: Group Four Teleproductions

To: autox@autox.team.net

Cc: bobt@wmfilms.com

MDMURRAY@gwns.com

bshort@AFSinc.com

Subject: ProSolo2: TV or not TV?

Date: 1997-12-22 19:36

--

------

All,

Regarding ProSolo2 as a marketable TV commodity from the perspective
of

another guy on the net, who happens to do TV for a living...

People on this net are very creative, and it shows a depth of

understanding and talents within our sport which is very broad
and -helpful.

That's

pretty cool. Collectively, we've covered all manner of creative angles
for

camera

placement, time management, drama building, etc. etc. Truth is, that's
the

easy

part. Doing television right is one hell of a lot harder than it
looks.

There are

few ways to get it right, and a million ways to mess it up, or get
rained

out, or

back-doored electronically, or marketed poorly.

Am I being "negative" on this? Not really. I hope you'll read what

follows as a realistic outlook. Oh, grab a cup of joe, this may take a

while:

What makes good TV? What would make ProSolo2 or its sponsors products

"marketable" through this medium? I was thinking about this over the

weekend, because I was shooting with Bennet Productions for FOX
Network

on the World Pro Skiing Tour. Shooting skiing is easy compared to
shooting

Solo. It's got drama: My camera had a lens full of contorted facial

concentration, agony of defeat, sexy bods on skis, Emotion, Emotion,

Emotion. Not just Motion. And even the motion thrills are greater than

in Solo. You've got steep slopes, knife edged skis, thunderous thighs

straining against the mountain, broad shoulders banging through gates,

bodies diving over headwalls, sometimes gracefully, sometimes barely
in

control and flailing... and the whole thing is literally on the edge
in

a way that people who've never skied can understand. You don't have to

have expensive telemetry superimposed on the screen. Still, with only

seven cameras

covering the course, twelve crew, equipment, lodging, travel,

etc., the shoot was probably over 20-k. That's before its edited or
aired.

BTW, this one airs January 3rd on FOX at noon EST. I'm the camera geek
on

the last headwall before the finish. ;-)

The technicalities of putting a Solo TV program together go way beyond

site production. Bob Tunnell recently illuminated this, and his
comments

were

perfectly true. I'd agree that it WILL take over $30,000 to do it well
(by

calling

in a lot of favors and good will), and more like $60,000 minimum to do
it

right and

tight. That's BEFORE you buy the airtime. What

advertiser stands to realize a decent ROI (return on investment) from
this

one shot

deal? Or, let's take Byron Short's series based model and explore it.
Any

sponsor(s) who get behind a "series" with serious money will want

certain guarantees. I can pretty much assure you that such sponsors
will

ask or

demand to be on ESPN, TNN, or at minimum, ESPN2. Speedvision would be
the

alternative choice rather than first choice. This is not knocking

Speedvision. I would personally love to give them the package, because

their programing supports things in which I'm interested . But from a

major sponsors' perspective, their numbers aren't going to play like
TNN

at ratings time. They (sponsors, agencies, Joyce Julius...) will tell
you

that if you want to guarantee the highest probability of return on

investment for whomever ponies up major bucks for this, you have to
get

a net with the widest possible cast (audience). Yes, Speedvision has a

better "target" demographic, but when you balance numbers and noses,

sponsors will almost always opt for noses. Matt Murray can jump in a

correct me on this, but the last time I checked, Speedvision didn't
have

near the reach of ESPN or TNN. He may also argue that the demographic,

albeit smaller, is the only one we care about anyway. I'd probably

agree, but I'm not paying for this thing... That having been said, if
we

go to a

"one shot deal" on a TV show, then Speedvision can offer us more than
the

others,

because their programing capabilities also allow for easier insertion
with

that kind

of show with a greater likelihood of repeated performances.

Lets talk about what happens at a ProSolo2 on site. The production
crew

will be in charge of the show. That is, cars will go when the director

signals that all cameras are in place and rolling. Need to change
tape?

Battery? White balance? Move the POV cams? Telemetry giving you

problems?