The Original Solo on TV (Pt #2)

To: "Teamdotnet" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Original Solo on TV (Pt #2)
From: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 16:09:10 -0400
Here is part #2.
Matt Murray

mailto:mattm@optonline.net
mailto:mdmurray@gwns.com

The event gets shut down for however long that takes. This is
extremely

intrusive, but that's the way good television happens. Communication

between crew and ProSolo2 staffs will have to be highly coordinated,
if

not entirely scripted. That is, to ensure a really good one-shot type
of

show, the whole thing would play from a script. Let me be clear on
this

last

point. If what we're after is to make Pro Solo2 a televised venue,
then

the

production crew, sponsors, drivers, and SCCA have to be in bed

together in a way that most people may not presently contemplate.

Television will

override to a degree that will seriously compromise the power of the
SCCA

to run the

events as they are now presently run. Right now, we're doing it for
the

drivers.

Doing it for TV is a whole different game. I'm not saying that's bad,
just

very

very different. ProSolo2 is not strong enough in the same way that
NASCAR,

CART (or

whatever its called these days...), or even Sprint car racing are
strong

visual

draws. In those venues, the race dictates the pace, and the excitement

does not

have to be "manufactured" with the addition of in-car, telemetry,
on-car,

ant cam,

and other speed/drama inducing devices. The speed, danger, emotion,

tension, and story are big enough to see without these devices. The
fact

that

they've become part and parcel of motor racing teleproductions' bag of

tricks means only that even NASCAR needs -help, but not so much -help
that

these things are mandatory.

In producing a successful show, there is no "beta" version you can

release and fix later. It has to be right the first time. This takes
an

enormous amount of planning, trouble shooting, and can involve scores
of

people, all

of whom are paid professionals. And while you can do a "cheap"
version, no

matter

how well intentioned and clever, it diminishes the sponsor's
probability of

return.

This is not "negative" analysis, it's just analysis.

I could go on with more ideas, because believe me, I've had lots of
time

to think about it being a full time producer and a part time
autocrosser

for the past fifteen years. The things I'd like for people to think
about

are the kinds of things that come with TV that may not be expected.
The up

sides and the down sides. What it does to unite us and what can happen

that divides us. I seriously doubt it would happen, but _If_ Pro Solo2

caught on in a big way, most of us would end up not doing it. The
sport

would be a cadre of about 60 people who went from venue to venue, with

new blood coming in by way of some sort of qualification system which
has

yet to be considered. That's how TV sports works. This is the world
we're

casually talking about. I want this sport to continue to be fun,

personable, and accessible. TV may not change that, but it will

introduce a dynamic that can bring a certain amount of added strain
and

separation

to the sport we all love. Not just administratively, but socially.
I've

seen this

happen in skiing, volleyball, kayaking, and mountain biking (The most

recent amateur

sports to go pro.). In the common sports package, directors look for

stories within

stories. Who are the players? There aren't any?

OK, we'll create them based on who wins the most, who's a continual

brides' maid, who's the underdog, who did Dodge choose to drive for
them,

etc.

Especially the last one. Sponsorship and sponsors get mentioned and

woven into every story. These days, they're paying for it, and it's

expected... After all, they'd own us... we'd just be there to make
them

look good.

(If this sounds cynical, then I'd suggest a quick edification in the
field

of

professional motorsports sponsorship.)

Back on point, what we'd develop is a field of elite semi professional

drivers. I'm not blind to the up side in this. There are many ways

such exposure brings positive side benefits. But lets keep our eyes on

what we

presently have, and how it may change. If you think you can manage or

direct that

change, you've got more money than those who would sponsor

it.

Again, I hope this doesn't come off as negative, although I know some

will read it that way. I love being a TV producer. I love being an

autocrosser. It's my experience that these are just a few of the

things that can happen when these two worlds combine.

Realistically, Pro Solo2 may never create the kind of excitement that

brings it yearly TV sponsorship, and all the things which would flow

from that. But I think it's interesting to think about what kind of
primary

and secondary ramifications a commitment to TV brings. If we want to
do

that, fine. If not, then lets "publicize" the sport in another way via
TV.

What I'd suggest is that we create a made for television event which
is

totally scripted to look as good as possible. Bring in the loud cars,

the interesting cars, the best drivers, an audience on bleachers, and

script it.

This will not be a part of the regular Pro Solo2 Series, but a

separate event made specifically for television. We'll still need a

minimum of $30-k, but the "show" will be a better investment because
we

can control the pace, visual impact, and story. It'll look great, play

few times,

and expose the sport to thousands if not millions of people. If

it generates a lot of excitement, sponsorship for bigger packages may
come

more easily. If not, we've lost nothing, (except for those who must

measure their ROI) gained an opening to a TV audience, and a product
that

can serve

as a promotional tape for SCCA Pro Solo2 sponsorship efforts.

In the mean time, be careful what you wish for... you just might get
it.

Rich Fletcher

SCAC member

Group Four Teleproductions, Inc.