Software vs. Hardware

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Software vs. Hardware
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 12:21:17 -0400
Paul Foster wrote:

> > From your comments it is obvious you are more comfortable with hardware
> > than software.
>
> *chuckle*
>
> I write software for a living. I'm not an engineer, I just play one on
> TV. :)

Hmmm. Well color me surprised.

> > Any product that requires you to go inside the "black
> > box" to enable the other accelerometer is way too difficult for most end
> > users.
>
> Ever set the IRQ and data port on an ISA modem? It's not THAT uncommon.

That's EXACTLY what I am talking about. The idiot who came up with that
nonsense should be castrated. The PC should a home appliance not an
exercise that requires the average user to hire an electronics
technician to properly install a modem.

> > I have the opposite perspective since I am a software developer
> > but I do have a background in realtime computer systems. So I have a
> > very great appreciation for what Byron has done with GEEZ. The analysis
> > software is the key.
>
> But with all due respect to Byron and his efforts - garbage in, garbage
> out.
> He's only got 2 inputs to work with, and they're both subject to error.
> He makes
> all these wonderful calculations for you, but they're still based on
> error-filled channels.

Error filled channels which just like it's predecessor the g*Analyst
manage to overcome the pitch and roll induced errors to provide accurate
information at a very low cost.

> > I personally believe that Edelbrock will NEVER
> > match the software you get with GEEZ. Not next year, not next decade,
> > never!
>
> Based on what?

Based on the knowledege of what was required for him to write the
software he has since I too had the same aspirations. I played around
with a g*Analyst for months and I could not get it to draw a reasonable
course map.

> But I DO know software - and I like Edelbrock's more than I like GEEZ!.
> YMMV.

I do too and my opinion is exactly the opposite of yours. And your
description fo the Edelbrock product has only confirmed that while it
does provide more 'channels' it is very difficult to install and even
mroe difficult to get reasonable values from the most critical component
- at least to me - the accelerometers. YMMV.

Paul Foster