Re: Louise Smith

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Louise Smith
From: Jim Carr <jac@scri.fsu.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 16:23:45 -0400 (EDT)
Katie Kelly wrote:

> By the way, but were not race car drivers back in the forties completely
> INSANE? Check out her helmet! Did they even have seatbelts back then? I
> don't think so.

 I don't recall when the article on the 50th anniversary of seatbelts
 in racing ran in SportsCar, but it stated that the SCCA was the first
 to require seat belts in race cars, and IIRC that was in 1948.  That
 same article said something about the SCCA helping get the helmet
 research going that led (after the death of Pete Snell) to the Snell
 Foundation being formed in 1957.

 A newspaper story in the London Telegraph about a campaign to allow
 certain vintage drivers to drive their vintage cars with vintage
 helmets (an "old enough that they will die soon anyway" rule?) said
 that the original auto racing helmets (still available) were based
 on polo helments.  (My facetious parenthetical hides a reasonable
 argument, which is that heavy modern helmets could be more dangerous
 in certain accidents if used in a car without the lateral head
 support and belt systems that modern cars have.)  Better than
 nothing but far from Snell approved.

 Jim Carr
 BS 1993 Miata & Old Fartz physicist