Re: Solo II National Videos

To: "Adam Popp" <raft321@fuse.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Solo II National Videos
From: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 22:46:20 -0400
Just a point of information. Portable personal video recorders didn't
really exist until the mid eighties, and was very expensive. Betamax
was introduced in 1978 or '79. VHS occurred later when Panasonic
didn't want to pay Sony the license fees for the Betamax tape
transport (path). Even Pro Beta (Betacam) was rare outside of the more
forward thinking news stations and post production facilities. U-Matic
was the predominate format of that time, and not very transportable.
Cheesy cable systems and TV stations still use U-Matic. Of course, me
being a forward thinker, still have my Betamax (it stills weighs more
than a Neon). It needs new belts, I think.

That being said, either 8mm, Super 8 (mm), or 16 mm might be the only
archival stuff out there, of the early days. FWIW, I may have some VHS
tapes that Wilson Wright shot at the February, 1989 Pro in Tampa at
McDill AFB (No speeding on the base!!!).

Sorry about the video drivel.
Matt Murray

mailto:mattm@optonline.net
mailto:mdmurray@gwns.com