Autocross Insurance Claim (more details, long)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Autocross Insurance Claim (more details, long)
From: Jonathan Roberts <jorober5@vt.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 16:34:06 -0400
Many thanks to all of you who have responded with advice/information.  Some
folks have asked for more details on exactly what happened and how.  This
is the long version of what happened.

Of the folks who know me, many of you have met my girlfriend, Jen (and most
of you have ragged her about not driving).  She said she was scared to
drive because she didn't want to hurt my car.  Well, I finally (after a
year and a half) talked her into driving at an autcross.

We went to a Blue Ridge Region SCCA event on Sunday.  The site was fairly
long but kind of narrow.  The event was going very well.  I was driving
well and had FTD stock.  Jen was a bit timid her first run, and I
encouraged her to go a
bit faster.  On the second run she dropped 5 seconds and was ready to go.
I guess on the third run she wanted to drop 5 more.  I was working start so
I didn't see exactly what happened, but from all accounts and skidmarks
here's what I think happened. There was a dragstrip type start with the
first turn coming at the very top of second gear (a bit over 50mph).  I
guess upon
entry she decided she was going a bit too fast so she lifted.  We all know
about the snap-spin oversteer in the MR2's.  The car spun, she did
everything correctly at this point, putting both feet in.  Unfortunately,
there was a curb about 40 feet away and she hit it very hard (sliding
sideways) with the drivers side rear wheel.  The car also hit on the
drivers front wheel.  About 50 degrees of positive camber in the rear wheel
and 30 in the front.  All damage on the drivers side.  No sheet metal
damage, though the door didn't want to shut all the way.  Believe it or
not, I think the trailer hitch being on the car saved some damage.  At
least when the tow truck dragged it off of the sidewalk it went on the
hitch and not on the sheet metal.

Jen is OK. She was bruised along the left side of her body from hitting the
door.  Her shoulder, elbow, thigh, and knee are black and blue, but she
didn't feel any of this until this morning.

The car is at the shop.  It looks mostly like bolt-on suspension pieces.
The rear suspension is pretty much destroyed (it hit hard enough to break
the brake rotor), and the front suspension is better, but much of it will
need to be replaced.  I hope to have it together in time for NE
divisionals.  I am a bit sick because I just got the suspension sorted out
and felt like I was driving better.

Once again, though, Jen is OK.  We can fix the car!  If anyone knows of a
junk-yard with a '91-'92 MR2 (normally aspirated) keep me in mind, if I
can't find one around here I'll be looking anywhere.

The reason I asked about insurance is that I have USAA and Jen has State
Farm.  If it turned out that USAA was more "autocross friendly" then I was
considering turning it in to my insurance.  Its my car but she was driving,
so I thought coverage could go either way.

The car is in the shop now, and if its not terribly expensive we will try
to pay for it without insurance help.  I was most curious to see if
insurance would be an option...and to hear what everyone thought.

Thanks again for all the help and advice,

Jonathan Roberts
'91 C-stock MR2