RE: Phantomitis

To: kkelly@spss.com
Subject: RE: Phantomitis
From: Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:38:10 CDT
Katie Kelly wrote:

> I just want to let all you readers at home know that I didn't know I would
> become an addict so fast. I thought, "Sure, I can take it. Just a few laps,
> it'll be fun, but it won't control my life."

<snip>

> bye for now... must go for walk... must get... air...

As a member of Katie's autocross "family", I'm afraid I have to say it -
I think its time we had an "intervention" and save poor Katie from sinking
even deeper into the grip of "Phantomitus".  Here's the plan.  Someone has
to kidnap her and take her to her bank.  Get a teller to call up her
account on the screen.  Force her to say the balance.  She'll be in
denial, she's going to struggle, and it won't be pretty.  But it might snap
her out of it.  If this sounds cruel, think of whats down the road for her
if the disease runs its course.  Sooner than you'd dare to imagine, she'll be
asking about tow vehicles and talking turbo diesels and enclosed trailers.
Aaak, I'm recoiling at the thought of our fair sister driving more miles in
a truck than in a car, forevermore enslaved to some infernal adrenaline-
making beast.  Its unnatural, I tell you!

P.S.  It might help me to understand what she's going through if I could
try it just once...  I really have no credibility offering counsel unless
I've been there, right?  Somebody hook me up with my local "pusher".
I'm brave and sturdy, I'll survive it.  For Katie.  ;^)
--
Jeffrey D. Blankenship                         Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@itds.com                              ITDS - TRIS