A Frustrating Lesson

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: A Frustrating Lesson
From: Chris Shenefield <shenec@ohinter.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 10:10:44 -0400
I have been out of comission for awhile with an ankle injury.  That
brings an important lesson to my mind.

Now it is the end of August, and I am finally ready to start
autocrossing seriously for this year.  Seems funny since Topeka is just
a few weeks away.  I have been autocrossing for about 7 years now, with
a hiatus of a few years to try to get into road racing with a
Neon....something I have since realized I couldn't afford very easily.
For the 98 Solo2 Nats, I just took the roll cage out of the Neon and
drove with my wife 18 hours to Topeka with the windows open (no a/c and
very hot during the day!), our CD boom-box in the back seat (no radio),
4 wheels and tires, tools, and as much stuff as we could fit into that
little 4-door (which is actually quite a bit).

I have since sold the Neon to a happy recipient.  In deciding what car
to buy as a replacement, I was looking for something that could win at
Topeka and be a nice daily driver.  I bought a 94 Celica GT. The cars I
thought of buying:
1) Another Neon ES or DS - but I just had one of those; so it didn't
thrill me.
2) 944 S2 - the 968 was too much $, so I thought maybe the 944S2 would
be a good bet for Nationals.  In the end, I couldn't find one cheap
enough and AS has the 968 and Boxters.
3) Integra Type R - too much $ (they are still selling for around
$23-24k), but this was my first choice otherwise.  What a cool car!
4) 93+ RX-7 TT - so many with blown engines.  I don't need that.
5) Miata - Not enough room for a daily driver.  I would love to have one
of these cars though.  But there is no place to put a good bass speaker
box for good sound.
6) 91+ MR2 NA - Same as Miata problems.  Not enough room.
7) 99 Civic Si - I really was hoping that this would be competitive
against the other ES competition, but I decided that I didn't think it
would be the car to own.  I took one home for an evening from work, and
I concluded that while it is a screamer of a road car and has great
potential for road racing, it wasn't as good as the Celica for
autocrossing (the Celica has 1" wider wheels, better suspension
adjustability, and is easier to drive with a meaty torque curve unlike
the Si).
8) 94+ Celica ST/GT - this is the car i finally decided to buy because
it matched my needs most closely.

Per Schroeder has been extremely helpful in preparing my car.  Thanks
Per.  As luck would have it, I just happened to edge out Per at the
Evansville Naitonals this year.  I know he was trying some new things
and would have beat me if not for a coned run, but it takes a lot of
guts to unluckly lose to the person you are helping and then smile about
it.  I hope Solo2 never loses that aspect.  But, the Evansville National
is the only autocross I have done all year, thanks to a bad ankle injury
I had playing soccer last october.  I have been on and off crutches for
a total of 2.5 months this summer.  Just had surgery 6 weeks ago; and I
hope to get an autocross or 2 in before Topeka.

So, although I have the car and the setup (or at least the beginning of
a good setup), I hope to trophy this year.  I have been mid-pack my
other 2 times at Solo2 Nats (DSP Golf in 94 and DS 4dr Neon in 98), and
now I am ready with the right car....so maybe I can get into the
trophies.  Or better yet, maybe I can win.  There is always that chance,
which is why most of us go, right?

The biggest lesson in all of this is it has been tough just sitting hear
reading about everyone elses fun.  And in that respect, we should
remember those who are less fortunate than us.  I have had a taste of
it, and it is frustrating.  So, drive safely on public roads, take care
of your health, and appreciate the great lives we have.

Sincerely looking forward to seeing everyone in Topeka!
Chris Shenefield
ES Celica

99 Honda Civic Si - I chose not to