Re: Re:boiling powersteering fluid on neon

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re:boiling powersteering fluid on neon
From: "Sean Long" <seanlong@micron.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 16:18:52 -0600
The PS reservoir on my '98 Trans-Am almost always spits out fluid during
autocrossing.  My Mom's a member of the San Diego Miata club, and she's been
told it's also a problem with most Miatas as well.  You can get a PS cooler
(takes you out of stock class?) or replace the filler cap gasket but
otherwise the "solution" is to wipe up the mess after each event and make
sure the system has enough fluid each time you race.

I do not know if going to synthetic PS fluid would help, although they do
claim to offer increased protection against heat and hydration.  Even a tiny
bit of water contamination in the PS fluid will dramatically lower the
boiling point making it much more likely it'll boil over.

Sean Long
'98 Firebird TA, FS