Re: My first NCCC event

To: Ben Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>
Subject: Re: My first NCCC event
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 08:16:53 -0700
Ben Thatcher wrote:

> OK, now I'm beginning to see why SCCA has lost a lot of Corvette drivers
> from Solo2. I got my first taste of National Council of Corvette Clubs
> (NCCC) action in Greenville, SC, yesterday.
>
> We got 12 runs (you SCCA drivers read that right) in one day!

This is a function of fewer cars at an event.

> The course
> was fast but no faster than SCCA spec S2. They used a TOTAL of 32 cones
> on course so a driver could choose his/her own line, at will.

This is a function of course design philosophy - we have people locally who
also favor this concept - choose your own line. This is just as if not more
challenging than "sea of pylons".

> Also, designing the course so 2-3 cars can
> run at the same time will speed up the event.

We have this in Phoenix now. With the right timing equipment and course
design any region can do this. We have run 140 cars (at three runs each) and
30 Time Only entries (second entries for time at four runs each) in a day
ending at 3:00pm.

> We were running 3 laps at a
> time which was great fun (hadn't done that since SCCA in Las Vegas in the
> late 80's). They had 65 cars and the event started at 10 and didn't
> finish until after 7pm.

PCA also does this, and they typically have 15 to 25 cars show up. Not
possible with our 120-140 entries. Great concept (mini-laps) with fewer
cars.

> What SCCA can learn from NCCC. Be friendlier and eliminate 2/3 of the
> cones on course to let everyone chose their own lines, more.

SCCA could also lose 2/3 of their current rule book with no real loss of
fair competition (IMHO). Might require some ex-lax though.....   :-)

> Another thing that is real popular in NCCC is the showroom stock Street
> tire classes. Some of their hottest drivers run here and put up VERY
> respectable times. It shows that street tire technology has come a long
> way. SCCA could take a page out of their book, here.

Come to Phoenix now to enjoy this class in local SCCA events. We have three
Novice and three Street Tire classes. I have heard that other regions also
provide this class (We Pax ours).

> I'm not one to pit SCCA against NCCC and get into a "who's better"
> waste-of-time discussion. I'm definitely going to put some NCCC events
> into my "must do" list of events, each year.

I've stated before, there are other venues out there, and this is why SCCA
needs to contunually look at its "user-friendly" profile and address any
issues, or people will go elsewhere. There is a lot right with SCCA, and for
the moment it is the largest show in town.

It seems to me that SCCA in recent times is doing a much better job of
listening to its members, and is actively trying to improve what it does and
how it does it.

FWIW.

Scott Meyers
Glendale AZ