Trophy Philosophy

To: Rocky Entriken <rocky@tri.net>
Subject: Trophy Philosophy
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 19:34:04 -0700
Jim & Marilyn Rohn wrote:

> bravo, well said ...
>
> At 12:44 AM 8/23/99, Rocky Entriken wrote:
>
> >If, philosophically, you think one-car classes are a bad thing, then do
> >something about it that does not screw the drivers in the one-car classes.
> >Like establish a PAXed system that is set up before the season begins so
> >everyone is on the same playing field before the game starts.

This is what *should* be done.

> >About the only thing a hosing like this does is discourage that
> >one-car-class guy even more and then, soon, you lose him too. Because now
> >you even take away the pure fun of just going out and driving the best he
> >can. That's supposed to be all we are here for, the fun. Don't screw that
> >part up too with a bunch of bureaucratic BS.

Like having to run with your class or you can't run, or we'll let you run but
not for Series points? Oh - that's another area of disagreement    :-)    Where
did I put my chill pill.......

> >--Rocky Entriken

Rocky,

Words and phrases like "hosing" and "scew out of" are very misplaced and
inappropriate. It is also not the club's "fault" that not all classes "make". In
fact through the club's offering multiple other classes to create some good, as
Jim mentioned earlier, other open SCCA classes have suffered.

In a world full of "something for nothing", "social promotions", and "welfare
for no work" it would be nice to have something that represented a real
achievement up on the mantle. Give a valued prize, a partial discount on the
next Series, special recognition (all not to my preferences), or *best yet*, an
opportunity to compete in a Paxed class where the abilities and competitive
spirit can be honed and developed.

To award a trophy with the words "First Place" in the world of automotive
competition, when there was *no competition* is very hollow and meaningless - I
think most if given a choice would choose to compete and earn the trophy. Why
not allow them that chance?

Feel good? Even kids know when they have really earned something and when they
haven't.

Sorry - I guess I just don't get it.

Scott Meyers
Riding off into the sunset.........hey, if I'm alone, do I get "First?   :-)