Re: non-stock M3 LTW...? Type R, again

To: "Jim & Marilyn Rohn" <rohns@doitnow.com>,
Subject: Re: non-stock M3 LTW...? Type R, again
From: "Ron Bauer" <ronbauer@aa.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 06:51:30 -0000
Someone wrote:

>>So you could pretty much convert any neon to the "full on racecar" specs
>>in an afternoon.  And, of course, anyone that wanted one could
>>order it.
>>Compare that the the M3 Lightweight that dropped the ride height, had AL
>>body skins, had aero aids added, had a _hand picked_ motor, came with
>>parts that if installed voided the factory warranty, etc.  Oh, and had
>>less than 200 made.
>>
>>How you could compare the two boggles the mind.

To which Jim Rohn replied:

> ...but it easily compares to the Type R ....

Come now Jim, there were at least 200 Type R's built!

All kidding aside, whereas both the M3 Lightweight and the Neon ACR were
built for racing purposes, the Type R imported into the states was not.  The
fact that it has some special things is not the point, it was not built to
be a race car.  Now granted the ACR didn't come with a bunch of things
different from the regular car.  The Type R was basically built as a car to
appeal to the "rice boys and girls" that actually did what it looked like it
could do.  We still didn't get the cool stuff that the Japan only cars got.

For those that still have a problem with the number of Type R's built, or
want one for themselves, there is a rumor that they will be imported again
as 2000 model.......

Ron Bauer
'98 Acura Integra Type R
Team Butt Heat