Re: Volkswagon GTI Engine Stabilizer

To: Larry Steckel <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Volkswagon GTI Engine Stabilizer
From: "Chris Franson" <cfranson@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 22:55:32 -0400
On Wednesday, August 25, 1999 9:08:07 PM, Larry Steckel wrote:
> I can see how a hydraulic strut would help to reduce the driveline juggle on
> this rev happy motor. However, knowing that most Golfs do not have this
> stabilizer is it worth replacing? Or, is there some other substitute that I
> haven't found yet that will give me the same effect?  And yea, I have
> thought about a pair of spherical rod ends and a threaded rod.

I just stumbled into the details about this thing last night while searching
for other info at deja.com. Take a look at this post from fellow autocrosser
Randy Walters:
http://x35.deja.com/[ST_rn=if]/getdoc.xp?AN=178180272&CONTEXT=935635853.1487
01257&hitnum=10
You may need to copy & paste the whole thing into your browser (it's all
supposed to be one line.) You could also search
rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled for "freeway hop" and come up with a
description. In short, the damper counteracts vibration which results, in
part, from the fact that the "front" of the engine doesn't have a mount of
its own and starts to vibrate harmonically while driving at speed.
Let me know if you can't find the post.
Chris