Volkswagon GTI Engine Stabilizer

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Volkswagon GTI Engine Stabilizer
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:08:07 EDT
I need some feedback from current or former GTI drivers.
My 87 GTI 16 Valve has a small shock mounted on the right rear side of the
engine that is supposed to act as a stabilizer. The one on my car is now
locked solid and just sitting there.
I can see how a hydraulic strut would help to reduce the driveline juggle on
this rev happy motor. However, knowing that most Golfs do not have this
stabilizer is it worth replacing? Or, is there some other substitute that I
haven't found yet that will give me the same effect?  And yea, I have
thought about a pair of spherical rod ends and a threaded rod.

Your help appreciated.

Larry Steckel