Re: how about a new Pro Solo class?

To: "Kent Rafferty" <gs96@sgi.net>, "autocross list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: how about a new Pro Solo class?
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:55:19 -0500
>Given the less than stellar turnout of the current
>P1 class, I'd like to see a new class composed
>of B/SP and A/SP minus the Lotuses (sorry Jay).

Don't mind me. The structure of Really, Seriously, No Kidding,
This Is Professional Motorsports Solo allows for car models to be
excluded even at the Stock level. Older cars don't generally
create much manufacturer interest for contingency programs, so
Lotuses aren't likely candidates for retention when cutting has
to be done. We'll have to do our best to live with that.  ;<)

>The A/SP cars seem to run comparable to times
>to the B/SP contingent if you exclude the Elan
>and very few, if any, Loti run Pros anymore due
>to the drag starts.

What about RX7tts? Won't they be the class-busters here?

>This would be a well subscribed, entertaining class
>with lots of neat cars.  In addition to the million C4s
>that would compete, we'd probably see a few more
>killer 911s and Vipers - real crowd pleasers!

Somehow, I don't think the BSP guys are gonna like your idea very
much. And, from your outline above, they're the ones you're
counting on to make the numbers. Why not just have a class with
only BSP cars and throw out the whole ASP can o' worms?

I don't necessarily share your belief that this will become a
highly populated class, but there's all sorts of precedent in Pro
Solo for excluding cars and combining classes to get acceptable
levels of participation. Pro Solo has never made any real
pretense at being member-driven, and I wouldn't argue that that
should change at this late date.

Jay