Re: Reduced class structure

To: "Alan Pozner" <AlanP@identicard.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Reduced class structure
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:48:49 -0400
> If you really want to look at cutting classes then look at combining ES
and
> HS. Their current PAX are almost identical. And the make and model mix is
> almost the same ( there are civics and celicas in both) .

The makeup is similar, but under the skin the cars are often rather
different.  I'll cite 3 examples I have personal experience with:

ES: BMW 2002.  HS: BMW 320i.  Both are small, sporty 4 cyl BMWs.  In fact
the 320i is in many ways an evolution of the 2002.  But the 2002 (especially
the 2002tii) is more powerful and much lighter than the 320i.  I've run my
'83 320i against a '76 2002 (non-tii) in the local BMW CCA events, and never
beat it.  I beat this same driver in the same 2002 on the same course in my
Saturn SC2.  I've driven some 2002s myself.  After doing so, I lost all
inspiration to keep modifying my 320i - the 2002 is a much better (lighter
and more powerful) base for performance mods.  That's why I want one. :)

ES: Ford Escort GT.  HS: Ford Escort LX.  What's the difference?  Just a
couple of letters, right?  Wrong.  Comparing just the 2nd gen models (I'm
know them well, having had one), the GT has about 120hp (a Mazda engine,
variations of which are used in the Protege and Miata) and a stiffer
suspension, among other mechanical and cosmetic improvements.  The LX has a
mere 88hp.  I've tried keeping up with GTs, and it just doesn't happen.

ES: Saturn, 16v engines.  HS: Saturn, 8v engines.  Early 8v engines didn't
even put out 100hp.  They pumped them up to a little over 100 later on.  The
16v (in my '95 SC2) makes 125hp.  The 8v has decent torque, but for high rev
driving the 16v is the engine to have, and moves the 2400lb car around with
a bit of zip.

> HS (considered the slower class ) often beats ES in major events. I don't
> see the rationale for having them separate.

I won't deny this, nor do I intend any flames.  I'm just speaking my opinion
based on my own experience.  Horsepower alone does not make a better autox
car, but pitting lower power models directly against their higher power
siblings just doesn't seem fair to me.  I've been in both classes with cars
I've had, and my ES Saturn SC2 is much quicker than my HS, then ST BMW 320i,
or my old HS Mercury Tracer (Escort LX twin).

    - Justin