F Mod, F400/500

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: F Mod, F400/500
From: "Thompson, Adrian (A.L.)" <athomps9@visteon.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 12:46:37 -0400
Thanks for the responses I've had so far on the Fmod Solo Vee Vs's F440/500
question.  It look's like a 440/500 is the way to go but now, if people
don't mind I have some further questions.

1.      I can't afford to get an AMW or Rotax 500.  An old 440 is probably
more in my reach.  First are these totally outclassed in solo?  Looking at
last years nationals the 440 seemed to do very well or am I missing
something.  Also can I run a vehicle with a 440 for a couple of years then
upgrade to a 500 without major surgery?  Basically would I be wasting my
time on a $2,000-$3,000 car?
2.      I'm assuming that a pre 90? Short wheelbase chassis would be better
for solo as I think it will change direction more readily.  Am I correct or
am I missing something.  Also, with the older chassis I've heard of people
updating to the rear geometry, what are they doing?
3.      What is spares availability like for older vehicles.  I see a lot of
Red Devils, does the company still exist.
4.      I've seen people talking about getting a 5:1 axle ratio for solo,
Where and how much would I get one for
5.      What clutches do 440's normally use?  If I upgrade to a 500 Engine
later will I need new clutches as well or are they common.
6.      What do people do for different rubber puck's?  Do they make their
own? And of so what from, or are there manufactures.
7.      What else have I forgotten?

Non of this will matter if I can't sell my current race car first.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian Thomspon