Re: Type R: G Stock in 2000? "Dreaming...."

To: Joe Goeke <buttheat@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Type R: G Stock in 2000? "Dreaming...."
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 12:57:33 -0700

Joe Goeke wrote:

> The Audi TT would be at best competitive with the "regular" GS cars.  I
> doesn't have the A4 multilink suspension, it's only FWD with no limited
> slip, and it weighs 2900 (ask Curtis Ames who weighed his at the Boise Div).
> I'd love to try one, but if it could keep up with and A4 sport, I'd be
> surprised.  Don't know much about the new Celica, but if I know Toyota, it
> will be heavy.

The new Celica is listed at 2560 pounds with a 60/40 weight
distribution. Big brakes. 6 speed is an option. VVTL-i engine for the
GT-S model with 180hp @ 7600rpm. 16x6.5 rims. Great price at $24k. I had
to avert my eyes though when I first saw it grace the pages of Car &
Driver. It was hideous. But, to my surprise, it has been growing on me.
It might be an interesting GS car.

The new 225hp TT roadster Quattro will add 4WD, but it weighs 3200
pounds. For me, it solves the major flaw in the TT Coupe, that is the
claustrophobic feeling in the cabin. Not sure where this puppy will be
classed. I really like the TT as far as styling. Very impressive.

I strikes me that it must be very difficult for the SCAC when
manufacturers keep coming out with improved models every year with a bit
more HP or whatever. What about the new Boxster with more HP? Very nice
car.

If you don't get the mag, pick up this months (October Issue) of C&D and
check out the shoot out with the Honda S2000, Boxster, M Roadster. Also
an interesting car in the Ford 220hp Focus R, plus the new Celica and
the TT roadster.

Randy Chase (not going to nationals so going to drool over car mags
instead)
*so many cars, so little garage space*
--off to the Alice Cooper concert--