Speed and safe courses

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Speed and safe courses
From: Jim Carr <jac@scri.fsu.edu>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 18:50:06 -0400 (EDT)
 No, you will not be considered a Safety Geek if you answer this.  ;-)

 The August 1999 issue of Fastrack minutes of the 3 June 1999 meeting
 of the Solo Events Board included mention of SIIR 1.3 and 2.1 as they
 pertain to course speeds for Solo II events.  It included the statement
 that "The SEB will be continuing to monitor speed-related concerns which
 have arisen due to certain recent events." which had just enough info
 to get my attention -- particularly because of the insurance-related
 description of an incident that was posted to this mailing list recently.

 I wonder if anyone from the SEB or the SSC could provide some of the
 background information about these "certain recent events" so we can
 learn a little bit from them.  The who and where is not important, but
 a summary of the course features and how rule-violating speeds (i.e. was
 it a top speed or a curve speed or 'common sense' issue) played a role
 in the incidents would be most informative.

 Sometimes examples speak more clearly than the rules do, and I suspect
 that the "recent events" that got the attention of the main office
 would fall in that category even if they don't fit what the SCCA
 wants to present as a feature article in SportsCar.

 Thanks in advance, and I hope I caught folks before they head to KS.

   Jim Carr
   BS '93 Miata and Old Fartz physicist