RE: Lets sound off...minnesota winters

To: "Derek Engelhaupt" <derekengelhaupt@rocketmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Lets sound off...minnesota winters
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <bfuhrman@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 18:46:42 -0500
> I haven't quite decided whether to get a set of snow tires for the
> Miata and run it through the winter or just store it/buy a junker.  My
> Toyo T-1 Hi-performance tires couldn't even handle the mild Maryland
> winter last year - no traction in the snow at all.  I wouldn't want to
> see how they grip (Urrr, slip) here.
> St. Paul, MN

Go for it.  The handling that you like when racing doesn't leave when you
hit snow, you just have less traction on all wheels just like everyone else.

I have been driving my Fiero in the snow for the past 11 years.  Dunlop D40s
lost traction on dry streets when it got cold.

I have driven on several levels of snow tires and all season M+S tires.
They have all worked reasonably as long as you get used to the level of
available traction.  I generally have less of a problem getting about than
many of my friends who have small front wheel drive cars.

Bill Fuhrmann
Brooklyn Park, MN