Re: Lets sound off...minnesota winters

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lets sound off...minnesota winters
From: "B. Vibert" <blur@ican.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 12:01:13 -0400

If where you are living now gets any amount of snow and slush, get a winter
beater. If you are mechanically (actually electrically) inclined and have a bit
of cash get an old Audi 4000 or 5000 quattro and have a blast. They can be
found for $1000-$4000 in decent shape and come with bum warmers. Throw some
snow tires on it and leave everyone in your dust, er, blowing snow. Actually
any AWD car is great, I just seem to like Audi's. (masochistic)
If you don't want to spend too much but still want some fun, get something
cheap and ugly but mechanically sound and drive it like a rental. There's
nothing more fun than driving a car you don't care about.
Driving in snow is great practice for autocross, speeds are similar, you're
constantly oversteering/understeering, correcting, threshold braking, etc. You
can practice anywhere.

Burl Vibert
83 Porsche 911SC (summer slalomer)
87 Audi 5000CS turbo quattro (winter slalomer)
83 Audi Coupe GT (backyard decoration, gotta fix it)