Re: Topeka Oberservations

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Topeka Oberservations
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 20:59:15 -0500
Disclaimer:

This and any other drivel that I may soon spew are merely a different
viewpoint of the Nationals.  The viewpoint of a first-timer at
Nationals, essentially an "outsider" to the whole National scene,
namely... me.

MattMR2@aol.com wrote:

> First:
>
> Spectacular weather. Clear today, high of 72.

YES!  It was beautiful today.  TOO sunny, if anything.  I got a little
burnt.  Better than inconsistent rain, though.

> Only one BFG truck.

I'd venture to guess that it may have been one to many if the tire brand
listings in the results are any indication.

> Subaru is the Official Vehicle of Nationals.

Where did all the Ford trucks and vans that we were actually USING come
from?

> North course still has a lot of breakup. Interesting Roger Johnson course.

I've lived in KS for 12 years, autocrossed for 4 years, and this was my
first time at Forbes (or to Topeka for that matter).  I was EXTREMELY
unimpressed with the "National quality" concrete that I've heard praised
by so many.  Might have been something in it's day... but not this day.

If you consider "torturous" to be interesting, Roger's North course was
interesting.  I didn't like it the first time I looked at the map,
didn't like it much when I walked it, and really didn't like it when I
drove it.  Oh, it was fun by default, as any autocross course is, but it
was way too busy for my taste.  Perhaps if I could have found some
traction, I'd have liked it better.

The South course was very nice, though.  Flowed well, and was very
fun... even in the rain.  (note that I hit ZERO cones on the South
course IN THE RAIN, yet did not get a clean run on the North course in
the dry)

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca