Nationals

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Nationals
From: PbPied@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:14:20 EDT
I can tell you what happened in F125, since I was involved.  :-)

As you have heard, Tuesday's conditions were either not good or lousy.
The 5th heat began very wet, with smallish puddles in places on course.
Those who had them (myself included) went with rains.  As expected,
Larry Paille showed excellent control and finesse, but the quickest for
two runs was Jon Goodale with a 58.6.  Most everyone else was running
well over 60, with Larry and Darrin Towers having low and high 59's. I was
not getting along with the rain tires, and was out of it, DFL.

The sun actually shone on the pavement towards the very end of run #2 for
the last cars in the heat.  I made the decision to go with slicks, as did Jon
and a bunch of the AM and BM drivers.  That worked for some of us!

Larry popped off a 56.2, still on rains.  I found the slicks to be more
predictable
than the rain tires, and did a 57.7, which would have put me second, if it
were
not for a cone that I didn't know I hit.  Darrin ran 58.3. still on rains,
but also
had a cone.  Jonathan didn't fare well with the slicks, and was scored a DNF.
I don't believe anyone else got under 60.

The South course conditions were as ideal as possible, and most everyone
jumped to a flying start with hot laps.  Knocking us all for a loop was
Goodale,
rocketing to a 53.4 first run.  Larry ran 55.2, and was more than a little
concerned
that his lead from Tues. was in jeopardy.  Three others made the 55's,
including
Paul Russell, Jake Perry, and myself.

The second runs saw Larry DNF, while Paul pushed to 54.0.  Jake also made
the 54's, and I improved slightly to 55.1, but Jon couldn't match his first
blast.
Larry finished with a 54.3, which pretty much secured his win.  Paul showed
us all how, running the day's fastest time at 53.3.  Jake displayed great
form,
dropping to 54.2.  Unfortunately for me, I made three large mistakes the last
time out, one of which was to hit the infamous cone #166.  Jon again ran in
the 53's, but was 0.4 behind his first go.

By running fastest on the South course, Paul had also lifted himself from 6th
on day one to 3rd, demoting me to 4th.  (darn that mystery cone on the North!)
Paille, Goodale, Russell, Sheidler for the trophies.

I need more seat time.  If I get a kart, hose other guys better Watch OUT!

Alan