Re: Class Dominance and Weight

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Class Dominance and Weight
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:31:59 -0500

Brian M Kennedy wrote:

> Is the dominant cars in each class also close to the lightest in each class?

Probably not in stock classes, maybe more in SP & up.

> What are the weights of the following cars?
> And are there any cars in their class that are significantly lighter?
>
>   SS - RX-7

Dunno SS weights... but there are Lotii in there.

>   BS - Miata

If it's not the lightest, it's probably close. (are there really other
cars in BS?)

>   CS - MR-2

Are there still some TVR's in CS?  What about the RX7?

>   DS - Neon

X-1/9

>   FS - Camaro

Not even close.  Remember, all the little V8 cars like the V8 Monzas &
V8 Mustang II's all fall into this class.  V8 cars NOC is pretty wide
open.

>   GS - Type R

What's an R weigh?  Maybe one of the Alfas or an Isuzu Impulse?  XR4ti's
are light, aren't they?

>   HS - Celica ST

MGs, Austin-Healeys, Triumphs, etc.  I bet even the 8v Saturns are
lighter at 2300 lbs. (with no rear sway bar and no power, they don't
have a chance... but they're lighter!)

>   ASP - Elan

Yep.

>   CSP - CRX

RX2 or RX3 probably.  Maybe the Chevy Sprint Turbo?

>   DSP - X 1/9

MGs, Austin-Healeys, Triumphs... a MINI!

Lighter is better, but you also have to have sufficient power and a
decent suspension.  The lightest is probably rarely the best. (except
for Lotus)

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca