Turbo Miatas (WAS: Re: Fw: What class would a turboized '99 Mi

To: "Loren Williams" <Loren@kscable.com>, "autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Turbo Miatas (WAS: Re: Fw: What class would a turboized '99 Mi
From: mikelowe@pop.c-com.net
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 03:04:09 +0000
> From:          "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>

> Sounds the way I remember it.

     Turbo Miatas are definitely in E Mod.  I know because I'm
building one.  Well, I'm having one _built_ with parts of my
choosing.  I dropped it off the day before I left for Topeka.
Apartments and project cars don't mix.  :-(  I just got back this
evening and I can't wait to call the installer tomorrow.
     I bought a 94 Laguna Blue A-Package Miata (moderate options
including the Torsen diff) and added the Flyin' Miata II (FM II)
turbo system from The Dealer Alternative ( http://www.dlralt.com ).
The turbo, clutch, exhaust, computer, shocks, springs, etc weren't
cheap but by saving for 2+ years, I pulled it off.
     This is my interpretation of the "Justification For Higher
Education" poster that's next to my computer.  You know... the one
with the big house by the sea with five exotic cars in a five-car
garage.  But I digress.  I could write a 50K email about the turbo
Miata experience.  Visiting http://www.miatapower.com will be
enlightening and save me from carpal tunnel syndrome.

> >Very small
> >and light car for EM...
>
> Really?  As I recall, the minimum weight for EM is 1500 pounds.  I'd say a
> Miata was a porker in that league.

     It _would_ be a porker compared to what I saw at Topeka.  I only
got a glimpse of the E Mod cars this year.  They ran while I was busy
on the other course.  :-(  I saw *charged Miatas there in E Mod in
the past.

> >put enough tire under it, strip it to minimum
> >weight

     There was an interesting article in Miata Magazine recently that
detailed such weight savings.  Don't forget the extra weight of the
turbo system.  When I delivered the items to my installer, the LARGE
box was pretty heavy.
     The turbo came seperately from the turbo place and it was 15 lbs
including less than one pound of packing mat'ls.  I enjoyed fondling
(he he) the Garrett turbo while waiting for other parts (the computer
took three months).  The turbo felt like 14 lbs.
     The big 2.5" SS muffler and exhaust I bought isn't light either.
 The cast iron exhaust manifold weighs a ton.  Even the intercooler
weighs about 8-10 lbs.  I saved a few pounds with the aluminum
flywheel and kevlar clutch but I bet my 94 gained 40-50 lbs.

> I'm not sure you can do that.  Or by the time you do, you might as well have
> started with something cheaper, since you would not be saving any street
> equipment anyway.
>
> >and crank the boost up, it might do okay.

     Running 15-18 psi will be fun.  Some people run higher boost.
Since this will NOT be my only car, I can take a few more risks.  But
then again, if I drive it to Topeka next year, I don't want to
grenade the thing >700 miles from home.  I read a Miatapower
list message from a turbo Miata owner than blew things up at a track
this weekend.  Hello AAA.
     Here's a fun goal:  How about a private competition for the
fastest street-worthy Modified car?  No trailer queens allowed.  The
car must be driven to the event.  Minimal Prepared-category
suspension mods allowed (subframe braces allowed of course ;-) ).  No
gutting the interior.  I would prefer Stock-category interior rules.
Those Caterham 7s in D Mod are nice but I wouldn't really consider
them right for my concept even in street-tune.  I just don't see a
professional like me driving one to the office.  My supervisors might
decide it's time for another "random" drug test.  ;-)

> I've obviously never tried this stuff, but my guess is that an engine-driven
> supercharger would be better for autocrossing than a turbo-supercharger.

     The debate about the best *charger takes on near-religious
tones.  Tread carefully.  I chose the system that delivered the best
power at the time and has excellent support.

> All of which is not to say that a turbo-Miata might not be fun street ride
> and an interesting autocrosser.  I just doubt that it would be a
> world-beater at high levels of competition in EM.

     The turbo Miata will be a fully street-worthy car when it's
done.  I'll probably take it to work once a week.  It will never be a
world beater.  It's just going to be a C5 Vette and Camaro beater.
:-)  Just today, another Miatapower list member told a story about
out accelerating a Ferrari 355 multiple times.
     I plan on keeping my 96 Miata R for most autocrossing.  B Stock
is way too cool in Texas to bail now.  I downright sucked in Topeka
(43rd this year but 16th last year) but I had several TX buddies in
grid with me to keep me company.  The number of TX BSers that can do
well in Topeka is almost as big as the entire E Mod field there.
     I plan on using the E Mod Miata turbo in selected non-SCCA
events.  Some local clubs have Over Street Prepared/Super Street Mod
classes.  Those classes are perfect for what I have in mind for the
car.

> If I could afford a Miata, I'd drive it in Stock or Street Prepared.  The
> one turn at the wheel which I had in a Street-Prepared Miata was quite a bit
> of fun.  The car was essentially absent of handling vices.

     The suspension is well into street-prepared specs.  The car has
Konis and shorter progressive springs.  The sway bars are larger too.
 I currently have Borbet 15 x 7 wheels and I will soon order
215-45-15 Toyo T1S tires to cope with the power.  My 195-width
Dunlops and RE71s are good but not THAT good.
     For the last month I've been driving the car with a CSP
suspension but a BS drivetrain.  Even with RE71 street tires, I'd say
the car out-handles my 96 Miata R with 205 Kumhos.  I've had some fun
lapping around my local deserted "test track".

Time to go to bed and dream happy thoughts about happy turbo cars.

Mike Lowe    mikelowe@phoenix.net    http://www.phoenix.net/~mikelowe
'96 Miata R (B Stock autocrosser)
'94 Miata Turbo (E Modified fun car -- power corrupts!)