Re: More Infor On DSP Nationals Please - "The Truck"

To: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Subject: Re: More Infor On DSP Nationals Please - "The Truck"
From: Iain Mannix <mannix@privateI.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 10:53:24 -0600 (MDT)
It is in fact a 77 pickup.  Matt has had it a long time, from what I
gather, he found himself in a situation of "I like autocrossing, I
have the truck, I have invested a lot of time in the truck, therefore
I shall keep the truck."  Something like that.  I think he has 15
years in it, give or take 7 years;).

> Does anyone have accurate info on indeed what year and make it was, and
> the history and/or degree of preparation of this unique trophy gatherer?

Matt is unique.  Year?  Geez, dunno, older than me.  Make?  We're not
sure, although we have confirmed that they're probably not from this
planet(the whole bunch of them;).  Oh the TRUCK.  Heh, that thing is
not the gatherer, if your name is Matt, you can fit a lot of them in
the back, but that's about it;).  Heh.

I drove it this past spring.  It has slow steering, is not
exceptionally quick, but once you get it loaded, it sticks pretty
darned well.  I can normaly be in the same timezone as Matt, beaten
him a couple of times, even, but the day I drove his truck, I seem to
remember being happy to get within 4(yeah, FOUR) seconds of his best.
On my last truck run, I began to understand how one might go about
making that thing go fast.  I think I could find another two seconds
in it:).  Matt is the fast part of that mix.

There are probably more realistic vehicles to try.  It is prepared
well, Matt is a smart guy.  Big wheels(16x9, AFAIK).  Ten inches?
Forget, but muy grande.  TRD does not sell too many parts for the
77(at least for autocross;).  It is heavy - 2400something?

I'm glad Matt likes the Hottruck as much as he does.  There's probably
a ton of detail stuff that he's done to it which comes from
playing with the same truck for years.  Very cool swaybars.  Floormats
add 40hp.  It is really well thought out, but on the other hand,
nothing all *that* special, just years of Matt perfecting everything,
driver and truck.

I don't know about the other DSP people, but I'm not embarassed to be
beaten by a truck, as the announcer suggested.  Matt is a great
driver, plain and simple.

Iain Mannix(go test drive one, and while test driving, remind yourself
that you're stuck with that steering rack)