Re: STU....and other stuff

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: STU....and other stuff
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 09:12:55 -0400
Greg and Valerie Holden <gholden1@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> Buddy Ahlers wrote:

>> All this talk about these huge monster motors in tiny
>> cars brings me to a question that's been bothering me
>> for a long time...
>>
>> How much motor is too much motor for a good autox car?

> I believe STU is still limited to 7" wide wheels and 225mm tires, so that
would
> be pretty limiting on the effectiveness of extreme power.

Nope, STU - in both the current rules and our proposed ones - uses the SP
wheel/tire rules, which means "unlimited wheel size, DOT race tires"

Which still limits the amount of power you get down (DOT race tires are not
slicks) but at a higher amount than 225s on 7"

I suspect there's an upper limit on how much _usable_ power the STU cars are
going to make, given the small displacement + turbocharged formula that
many/most of the cars will be using. The lag/top-end tradeoff with big turbos
starts to bite you at around 280 HP on a 2litre motor. Any more top end than
about 350HP peak will lag to the point that you never make it on a typical autox
course.

When it comes to turbos and autox, smaller really is better.

> Greg Holden
> STU supercharged 96 GSR next year!

Are you on the STU list yet? http://www.wincom.net/trog/stu/

DG