Clarification on the clarification (BS protest)

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clarification on the clarification (BS protest)
From: Kevin McCormick <ktm@unify.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 09:09:53 -0700
Two things I wanted to clarify here:

1)
There appears to be some confusion as to my wording of seeking a
clarification on the Koni perch height.

Let me put it this way -

Many of us have seen that Koni got it wrong on the middle groove on the rear
shocks for a Miata R.

Ms. Kelly runs her car on that groove.

I protested based on that.

Turns out that Ms. Kelly's Koni's may be a pre-production set that differs
in the perch height compared to the currently available units, and those
(Ms. Kelly's) are legal via the protest route.  Competitors using recently
purchased Koni's are suggested to do their own math.

2)
Why did I not set my car in the middle groove and protest myself?  Um, that
is asking me to make my car illegal (load the gun) and pull the trigger
(file a protest against myself.)  There was a 'redneck autocrosser' skit a
few years ago that this fits into.  The second part of this is that my
co-driver (Katie Elder) had just won the BSL championship - protests apply
to the ladies class as well.

Thanks for listening...

Kevin McCormick