RE: Clarification on the clarification (BS protest)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Clarification on the clarification (BS protest)
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:36:23 -0700
Kevin McCormick writes...

>Turns out that Ms. Kelly's Koni's may be a pre-production set that differs
>in the perch height compared to the currently available units, and those
>(Ms. Kelly's) are legal via the protest route.  Competitors using recently
>purchased Koni's are suggested to do their own math.

My understanding is a bit different. It's also vague as hell. There are
many, many different types of aftermarket Koni shocks available for Miata
Rs. All have the same part number, though some have two perch settings (one
being "stock"), some have three, and some have five.

This is what I heard, anyway, when talking to other Miata R drivers.

Apparently, earlier versions of said shock came with the perch setting set
at 2mm too low. Now, what I'm going to tell you now is purely what I've
heard through the rumor mill, and is not to be taken as fact, but according
to my sources (B Stock Miata drivers), Kumar Viswalingham (I hope I spelled
that correctly!), who works for Koni, had this error in shock design fixed,
so later versions of the same shock were made within the spec, or at least
within legal tolerances.

Lucy's were within the legal tolerances. I am not certain whether or not
Lucy's shocks were a "pre-production" set. I bought them used from a friend
of mine, who, incidentally, just sent me an email confirming that the shocks
were within the legal spec.

In short, I would advise all B Stock Miata drivers to measure very
carefully! You might not be as lucky as me!

Katie (only 100 more messages to go!)